Winter Dumpathon Pilot Program begins February 17. Click here for more info.
Funding and support for this project is provided by a grant to the Fire Safe Council of San Diego County from the San Diego River Conservancy.
Holiday Gifts For Firefighters
Kensington neighbors and businesses donated holiday treats for the firefighters at Fire Station 18. We sure do appreciate our local heroes! Get the full scoop here.
We all remember the terrifying brush fire that raged in Fairmont Canyon on October 15, 2019. It presumably started in a homeless encampment somewhere off Aldine. If the winds had been blowing west, not east, our Kensington canyons and potentially our homes would have been in peril. That’s why Kensington community members take fire safety seriously. It could happen any time.
Kensington Fire Safe is a community organization under the umbrella Fire Safe Council San Diego County. We are an IRS approved 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Our mission is to educate Kensington neighbors about fire safety and encourage each other to make our homes fire safe through brush clearing and fire-resistant landscaping.
Kensington Fire Safe is a proud recipient of a 2021 Fire Safe Council Grant. This grant is funded thanks to generous support from SDG&E and the San Diego Regional Disaster Board Fund. The money from this grant helped fund our October 2021 Dumpathon, our fire-fuel reduction program. Thank you SDG&E and San Diego Regional Fire Foundation!
- Holiday Gifts For FirefightersKensington neighbors and businesses donated holiday treats for the firefighters at Fire Station 18. We sure do appreciate our local heroes!
- Master Gardener Cindy Bruecks on Fire Safe LandscapingOn Wednesday, November 17, Master Gardener Cindy Bruecks gave a Zoom presentation on Fire Safe Landscaping. We’ve provided a link to the video of the presentation in this blog.
- Landscaping Your Home in a Fire AreaCould you and your house survive a fire? Would firemen have a chance to save it? Read this article from Las Pilitas Nursery about fire safe landscaping.
- Landscaping For Fire SafetySan Diego Master Gardener, writer and lecturer, Cindy Bruecks, will cover how to prep your land and plants, and your home’s exterior, and will even provide paperwork to give you the best chance of fending off flying embers.
- October DumpathonCheck out photos and learn more about our October 2021 Dumpathon – Kensington Fire Safe’s fire-fuel reduction program.
- The Dumpsters Of Kensington – Week 1The Dumpathon is in full effect, running Oct 1 – 14, 2021.
- Danny Glessner’s Home Hardening SeminarHome hardening expert Danny Glessner gave an educational seminar to help us fire-proof our homes. Check out the video of the presentation in this blog.
- Reminder to Keep Your Fan Palms TrimmedFan palms are beautiful, but the drying fronds that drape down the trunk can easily ignite in a wildfire and spread embers throughout the neighborhood.
- Home Hardening PresentationWant to Up Your Home’s Fire Survival Odds? Join speaker Danny Glessner, a former firefighter and fire captain who combines scientific research with extensive frontline experience. 7 – 8 PM, September 16th Kensington Community Church, 4774 Marlborough Dr.