October 6 – 20, 2022
April 20 – 27, 2023
Funding and support for this project is provided by a grant to the Fire Safe Council of San Diego County from the San Diego River Conservancy.
We all remember the terrifying brush fire that raged in Fairmont Canyon on October 15, 2019. It presumably started in a homeless encampment somewhere off Aldine. If the winds had been blowing west, not east, our Kensington canyons and potentially our homes would have been in peril. That’s why Kensington community members take fire safety seriously. It could happen any time.
Kensington Fire Safe is a community organization under the umbrella Fire Safe Council San Diego County. We are an IRS approved 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Our mission is to educate Kensington neighbors about fire safety and encourage each other to make our homes fire safe through brush clearing and fire-resistant landscaping.
Kensington Fire Safe is grateful to receive a 2022 grant from the San Diego Regional Fire Foundation and the Fire Safe Council of Greater San Diego County. This grant will help fund our Fall and Spring Dumpathons. Funding for this grant was made possible thanks to generous support from SDG&E and various Fire Foundation donors.
- KFS Awarded $8000 SAFE Grant for DumpathonWe’re happy to announce we got a grant to fund our next two Dumpathons!
- Memorial Day Parade 2022We may have been the “smallest” entry in the Parade but we certainly were a wee hit!
- 1/8″ Screens Placed in Vents and Eaves Can Protect Your Home from Flying EmbersLearn how to use mesh in the openings under tile roofs to block burning embers from getting in.
- What to do if a neighbor doesn’t trim trees or brush that may be a fire hazardHere are our suggestions for working with neighbors to create a safer Kensington.
- Dumpathon – Feb. 17 – 24Photos and recap of the February 2022 Dumpathon
- Councilman Elo-Rivera Awards Kensington Fire SafeKensington Fire Safe was recognized by our Ninth District Councilman at the State of the District event.
- CANYONLANDS: Brush Management Guide and Video PresentationSo, are you ready to start clearing that hazardous, overgrown brush and make your home and community safer? Good for you! But before you get started, here’s a helpful guide and video tutorial from SD Canyonlands to help you do it RIGHT.
- InsuranceHas Your Big Rate Increase Arrived? Mine did! Insurance companies may start reducing rates for fire-wise homes by this summer. Learn more.
- Holiday Gifts For FirefightersKensington neighbors and businesses donated holiday treats for the firefighters at Fire Station 18. We sure do appreciate our local heroes!